Day of action against corporate courts
Five fossil fuel firms are suing governments for over $18 billion for taking climate action. Corporations are able to sue governments using “corporate courts”, secretive arbitration tribunals which are written into international trade and investment deals.
On Saturday 21 May we’re joining with allies across Europe for a day of action against corporate courts, in particular to call for governments to decide to leave the Energy Charter Treaty. This 50-country investment deal is being used by fossil fuel companies to block countries’ climate policies. A crunch decision point is approaching in June, so now is time to up the pressure.
Join the action
Activists are taking to the streets up and down the country both before and on the day of action. See below if there’s something happening near you!
London – Join the action against Uniper in Enfield
Energy company Uniper is suing the Netherlands over coal phase out, using the Energy Charter Treaty. Join us for a community rally!
- Sat 21 May, 12 noon
- Meet at Brimsdown station before we head to a power station owned by Uniper (see on map)
Also in London the South East London group is organising a stall at the Nunhead Cemetery Open Day.
Salisbury – Join the action against Rockhopper
Energy company Rockhopper is headquartered in Salisbury. It is suing Italy over a ban on offshore oil drilling using the Energy Charter Treaty. Join us for a climate bandit protest!
- Weds 18 May, 12 noon
- Meet at the Guildhall, Salisbury
Glasgow – Join the action against Clyde & Co.
The law firms who specialise in corporate courts help drive this unjust system, and one of the top law firms has offices in Glasgow.
- Weds 18 May, 12 noon
- Meet at steps of Buchanan Galleries
Also in Glasgow there are plans for an Elizabethan themed stunt. Intrigued? Contact the Glasgow group for more info.
- Fri 20 May, 12 noon
- Meet in Dean Country Park, Kilmarnock at the Dower House for a photo protest (see on map)
- Sat 21 May, 11am
- At the fountains by the harbour (see on map)
- Sat 21 May, 10am – 12 noon
- Cherry Hinton High St close to Tesco Extra (see on map)
- Sat 21 May, 11am – 12:30pm
- Meet at Exchange Street, Macclesfield, near the town centre Tesco, for a protest with noise and sharks! (see on map)
- Sat 21 May, 10am – 4pm
- The Moor, near the old Debenhams (see on map)
Organise an event
Could you organise something where you are? This could include:
- A protest in the centre of town, or at a site relevant to corporate courts which you try to get the local press to report on.
- A campaign stall to raise awareness and get people signing the petition.
In order to maximise involvement in the day itself, you could do some of the following in advance:
- Making use of our new booklet on a stall or at an event;
- Holding a public webinar or meeting on corporate courts and climate;
- Getting in touch with local climate groups and other allies;
- Writing an article or letter for a local newspaper or blog.
Our A2 placards (right) are also still available to order. Email [email protected] for five, ten or more.
Please note, placards will be sent out by courier, so we will need a mobile number in order to complete the booking.