City law firm walking tour and stunt – Corporate Courts vs The Climate
Corporate courts* are an obstacle to a clean energy transition and to achieving climate justice. Fossil fuel companies are increasingly using them to undermine and block climate action:
- two energy companies, Uniper and RWE, are suing the Netherlands over its coal power phaseout
- UK fracking company, Ascent Resources, is suing Slovenia for requiring it to assess the environmental impact of fracking plans
- UK oil company, Rockhopper, is suing Italy over a ban on offshore drilling close to the coast
- TC Energy is suing the US over the cancellation of the Keystone tar sands pipeline
Many of these companies are being represented by law firms in the UK, and these law firms are not neutral within the corporate court system. A relatively small number of specialist investment law firms dominate corporate court cases, and they have actively created, driven and perpetuated the corporate court system.
It is a multi-million dollar industry for them and they go fishing for clients like ambulance chasers, promoting opportunities for cases, encouraging firms to sue and aggressively lobbying decision makers to protect the system.
Join us on Friday 17 September 2021 in London for a walking tour and stunt around some of these law firms – we’ll be joined by circus performers.
when: Friday 17 September 2021, 10:30
where: meet outside Blackfriars tube – turn right and meet in the space across the road at the bottom of New Bridge St
Do let us know if you can join us, at firstname.lastname@example.org
This event is part of a nationwide day of action exposing the links between corporate courts, dirty fossil fuel giants and climate action, which is targeting both the fossil fuel companies and the law firms behind them.
* Corporate courts are written into trade rules. They are formally known as investor-state dispute settlement or ISDS.